: Gary Bettan's Blog
: First Impressions of the revolutionary NewTek TriCaster TC1
The NewTek TriCaster TC1 is a HOMERUN! GRAND SLAM!
The NewTek TriCaster TC1 delivers a level of price, performance, features, technology, expandability and future proofing that has NEVER been seen in the world of live production and streaming. When I first heard about NDI it was two years ago at the NAB show, I was sitting with NewTek CTO and President, Dr. Andrew Cross, and on the back of a napkin he described NDI to me and the impact he felt it would have on the industry. It wasn’t just going to be bigger than 4K, it was going to be a crucial technology to making 4K live production a possibility.
Keep in mind that each 4K input or output requires a total of 4 SDI inputs ganged together, sometimes called Quad SDI. With NDI you would be able to run 4K over GigE straight into or out of your TriCaster or any other device. Plus since NDI is a two way communication protocol you can also control or take control of any NDI device on the network. I was blown away and I agreed with him completely. I had seen the land of NDI and it was just over the rainbow.
The NewTek TriCaster TC1 is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It delivers 4K workflows while leveraging all of Newtek’s technologies – Advanced Edition software, NDI, 3Play’s instant replay, TalkShow’s Skype TX and more into a powerful new rack mounted unit – all for under $20K. It supports not only 4K UHD, but at high frame rates – 2160p60 video!
Disclaimer: I have not actually seen or touched a TC1. The information below is based on what I could glean from the NewTek dealer and channel webcasts, as well as a WebEx presentation we had with the Newtek sales and products team. I will update and correct this article as I learn more.
For just $19,995 the NewTek TriCaster TC1 comes bundled with an all new control surface. The TC1 is just $14,995 ala carte!
Let’s take a quick look at what you get for $14,995 with the TriCaster TC1 2RU model:
16 external inputs for under $15K!!
- 4K UHD 2160p60 video
- Single 4K output or 4 3G HD Outs
- 4 SDI inputs expandable to 12 SDI with NC1 IO Studio I/O Module
- Total of 16 external inputs (SDI & NDI) with 4 M/E’s
- 3x Multi-viewers
- Native IP Processing
- Integrated TalkShow for bringing in up two 2 remote guests via Skype.
- Dual streaming simultaneously to 2 different CDNs such as Facebook Live, YouTube Live, Periscope, Twitch and any other CDNs. Or you can stream in two different formats. i.e. wide screen for desktops and vertical for mobile devices.
- 2 Internal video servers, 2 Graphics Channels, 10 Animation Players, 5 Still Buffers, 30 Clip Players, 4 IsoCorders, Integrated 3Play technology, Integrated TalkShow technology
- Internal or NDI Graphics plus Virtual sets
The NewTek TriCaster TC1 comes with 4 SDI inputs, but it supports a total of up to 16. How is this possible? The magic of NDI! Your 16 inputs can be any combination of SDI or NDI inputs. Need more SDI inputs, get one of the new expansion modules. The NC1IN adds 4 additional SDI inputs, the NC1IO adds a total of 8 SDI ports, that can be configured in any combination of inputs or outputs. Keep in mind that with NDI, you can use another TriCaster as inputs into the TC1, a computer with an NDI compatible capture card, a BirdDog NDI encoder with your exiting SDI/HDMI HD camcorders or one of the new cameras that will have native NDI support (trust me they are coming).
Flexible & Expandable
Your path to a 4K future
- The NewTek TriCaster TC1 is a 2RU unit and is also available in a 3RU model that includes redundant power supply
- You can choose between the Small USB control surface or the Large more advanced control surface that attaches to your TC1 via Ethernet
- You can add one or more Studio Input NDI encoder module or Studio I/O 8 input NDI expansion module that allows you to configure each SDI port as your choice of input or output
- NDI means that your existing TriCasters can be used as NDI sources as well
- We all know that in a few years we will be shooting, switching and delivering 4K content
- We also know we will still be shooting, switching and delivering HD content for the next 5 years
- These transitions never go as quickly or smoothly as imagined
- The NewTek TriCaster TC1 gives us a new class of product that supports today’s HD workflows as well as tomorrows 4K ones
- Most importantly NewTek TriCaster TC1 allows you to migrate at the pace you choose, as your budget allows, as you upgrade your gear and as your audience’s demands evolve.
NewTek TriCaster TC1 Shipping end of April!
Call now to place your oder 800-232-2325 or to request a price quote