: Richard Harrington's Blog
: Using Multiple Cameras For Time-lapse Photography
I see a lot of folks try to flip cameras as they go from one model to another. I know for many, the economic realty is a need to trade-in or re-sell gear in order to upgrade. The truth however is that the amount you’ll see for used gear may not be worth as much as you’d hope. I subscribe to the belief of putting the gear to work.
When it comes to shooting time-lapse, a second camera body (or even a third) can really come in handy.
- A second body can be set to a different ISO or aperture when shooting tough exposures (like sunrise or sunset)
- You can shoot different focal lengths on each body to create dramatically different shots. You can get your master shot and some additional angles all at once.
- A spare body can be especially useful if you are shooting content that requires simultaneous coverage like an event or live process, such as at a construction site.
- Shoot raw on one camera and JPEG on the other.
- You can shoot at different intervals to produce different looking footage
Chances are you have at least a few lenses in your bag… put them into use on that next shoot.
Be sure to check out the Triple Exposure website – www.3exposure.com – for more on time-lapse.